Wednesday 15 December 2010

Esther Walker - Background

Brief No. 3 is my second branding & Identity brief. This brief was a lot shorter than my first as I only proposed a website design instead of actually making it. 

Esther Walker is a journalist with a restaurant critic for a husband. She gave up her job working for a newspaper to become freelance (or as she calls it 'unemployed'). In light of her 'unemployment' Esther fills her time with cooking. She admits she's no Nigella hence why her blog is titled 'Getting recipes wrong so you don't have to'. With her foul mouth, cooking conunderums and brilliant sense of humor, Esther's food blog Recipe Rifle has become quite popular since it started in 2009. 


Esther hadn't asked me to design anything for her - but as a fan of her blog and her in general I decided to ask her permission to use her name etc. Luckily for me she said yes.

At the minute Esther's blog is hosted by blogger and (I'm sure she won't mind me saying) looks quite naff. Have a look;


Food blogging has quickly become popular over the past couple if years, a good example is smitten kitchen, run by Deb Perelman, a New York journalist who turned to food blogging when hit by the recession. Smitten Kitchen is wildly popular, and it's design shows that. Of course it helps that Deb is quite into CSS and is a part time professional photographer. 

I asked Esther why she hadn't made her blog a little swisher (without sounding too rude about what is despite it's hideous interface is actually a witty, well written brilliant blog). She told me thagt her blog had to match her personality - in her own words "part of my schtick is bring a bit shite and disorganised and if I suddenly had this flashy professional logo it would all fall apart like a house of cards..." Fair enough, and indeed it hasn't seemed to stop people flocking to her blog to read her most recent cookery escapades. 

So with Esther's approval I got designing...
Have a look on my context blog to see my proposed design direction

No comments:

Post a Comment